Title: 400 Lux - Lorde
card board boxes, disarray, chaos, packing, trucks, labeling…
Packing and moving have turned into things I have no desire to ever do again. A few times, Vito & I said "We're moving once more (back north) and this is it. We'll never move again."
Maybe moving is not hell for everyone. Perhaps it's exciting with a promise of fresh beginnings. Or perhaps you had an experience, like us, where the moving process was one big, terrible, no good time. Over & over again.
Let's start from the beginning, shall we? It's a very good place to start.
- Vito's car started having problems. Our mechanic was already finished for the day. The dealer could not fit him into the schedule. The car was nearly un-drivable. Thankfully we have a friends who works on cars and was able to fix his car.
- We had plans to meet with friends for Vito to say goodbye and they were canceled at the last minute.
- We had a last date, which was dinner at one of our favorite restaurants and the service was terrible. Vito's "medium rare" steak wasn't even pink on the inside and the manager asked him if he was sure he knew what he wanted. I finished my entire meal before Vito even received his. A complete mess.
- Went to pick up the moving truck at 6pm and it was not ready. The person who rented it before us was 4 hours late bringing it back and still wasn't there. It took 1.5 hours to get a truck, which they gave us a different truck than the one we reserved.
- I barely slept, less than 4 hours.
- It rained while we packed the truck up.
- The 10 hours drive turned into a 13.5 hour drive because of traffic
- We arrived at our house in Clemson at 1am to find that the rental property did not leave the house key under the mat, as promised. Vito tried to break into the house but was unsuccessful. So we checked into the last room available at a hotel at 1:30am. We had to sneak the cat in because they had a no animal rule. Vito then had to run out and buy a pad lock and take it to the moving truck. When he returned to the room after 2 and we found a huge bug on the wall. I made vito flip over every piece of furniture in the room to make sure there were no more bugs in the room or I'd be sleeping in the car.
- After 5 hours of broken sleep, we stayed awake at 8 and called the rental property number. The guy couldn't help us and told us we had to wait for a call back, which could take up to 24 hours. Mind you we had Vito's cousin and boyfriend driving 2.5 hours to come to Clemson to help us move in so we needed to know whether to stop them from making the drive. Luckily someone called back within the hour and said the key was under the mat at the rental property building, not the house.
- Vito drove to the rental property building and searched every mat and none of them had keys under them. So he had to wait 30 mins for someone to show up and give him the key.
- The couch wouldn't fit in the living room and the box spring wouldn't fit up the stairs.
- I saw my first live cockroach in the kitchen. (there have been none sighted since.)
- The internet was promised to be hooked up. And then when we called, because it was not hooked up when we arrived, they said it would be another 2 weeks.
- This was the day I was to travel home. Tuesday I had an appt for my stomach that took 6 weeks to get in and when I asked to reschedule, they said it would be another 6 weeks.
- I tried to leave Sunday night but when I went to take a shower, the hot water heater was not turned on. I desperately needed a shower from all the moving and to help keep myself awake. So instead I decided to lay down for 3 hours for a nap, would wake up for a shower, and leave. This would have been a great plan if I had set my alarm for 12am instead of 12pm so I woke up at 6:00am with no way to make it to my 2pm appt.
- I left and drove my overly emotional self back 10 hours all by my lonesome.
It was the longest weekend ever and has convinced me that we are cursed with moving. Silver lining, we were reminded how blessed we are to be surrounded by helpful friends and family who woke up early or made long drives to move around our heavy stuff.
So that's our horrific moving story. I hope to start some wedding recaps soon as I expect to receive our wedding pics this week!
So moving: horrible or we just had a really bad experience?