/* */

Friday, July 24, 2009

Book Review: My Sister's Keeper

My best friend, A, let me borrow this book from her last Saturday and I finished it by Thursday. This book kept you tied in the whole time, waiting to see what was going to happen yet. It pulls at every heart string possible. I liked how throughout the book, you saw things from every character's point of view. Not only did you see the present situation, there were many stories from the children's childhood, helping pave the way for the rest of the story.

The gist of the story, without giving too much away is a little girl, Anna, who is 13 files a lawsuit against her parents for medical emancipation so she does not have to give a kidney to her sister, Kate, who is 16 and dying from a rare form of leukemia. Kate was diagnosed when she was 2 and their parents created a designer baby, Anna, to donate cord blood to keep Kate alive. Over the 13 years, Anna has donated in many other ways and she is ready to live her own life, not centered around saving Kate.

It is a very sad and touching story. Vito & I went and saw the movie over the weekend. If you see the movie, read the book: the ending is completely different.

Overall, I liked it,even though it was at times heart breaking. I'd definitely recommend it, just have a box of tissues near by.

1 comment:

Alice said...

Ditto! I LOVED the book even though it made me cry! Saw the movie...and as they always say "the book is way better" haha!

:D Alice

p.s. thanks for stopping by my blog!